Saturday, August 16, 2014

What's Good for the Soul...Seeking Balance in Little Ways.

Within the last 24 hours or so, I have come to the conclusion that this blog is going to be good for my soul.

I honestly can say that I didn't expect people to relate or be interested in my journey! It is a new and incredible feeling to think about moms building a community to support each other. We all have our own communities, but I think a lot of those focus around our unique interests or children, and not simply around, our well being and taking care of eachother.

 I have realized that talking about working toward goals is probably the best thing I could have decided to do! My mind was spinning yesterday- not with the magnitude of how big I thought this could be, but how meaningful it could become. I really hope it will be good for other people too. Right now, I don't want to talk about lofty goals, but simple day to day differences I can make to balance my life.

There is something pretty special about the camaraderie of moms. It can be nice to know that no explanation is necessary for how challenging certain aspects of parenting can be. We all relate to that special polite smile we give other women or men who we don't have that camradarie with. We alllll do it, I think maybe because there are some things you just can't put into words. For example: Sleep deprivation- these are words. Those words do NOT do justice to 4 years of not sleeping through the night, or those first few weeks of bringing home a new baby! You just can't explain that to someone until they have been through it.

Ok, maybe on my mind a little bit today, so, this!

Note to self: I am not going to blog about being tired. Well, not often. BECAUSE WE ALL ARE!

Anyway, back to the camaraderie.  We are all moms who give SO much to our families and kids and there are many of us still seeking balance, or more of it. I think that's a pretty important thing to do.

Timing sometimes gives us little blessings. The first one for me, being this blog. Something to really encourage me to see that I am heading in the right direction. Next blessing: I spent the weekend in my hometown, connecting with a few friends that I don't see often, but who are SO GOOD to me.  Never enough time of course. I blundered a little and had to leave early. However, the words of encouragement about this adventure, good talks, gifts, snacks, hugs, happy kids playing  made me feel so very blessed. Then got some much needed time with my mom and aunt to talk about it all some more. I remembered something oh so very important: my best friends and family are good for my soul. Not necessarily 'Play date mom', or 'same town we live in mom' but the ones who ask "How ARE you".. and they truly mean it. Let's remember to ask each other questions about how we are doing that really matter.

This touchy feely feel-good moment got me thinking about what else grounds me.

I made a quick little list off the top of my head.

Family- close and extended
Friends- who are so amazing and supportive in all things big and small.
The beach, being outside and appreciating nature.
Running!
Remembering to be kind and thoughtful toward others and a practice being a supportive friend.

So my little goal for now is this: When I start to get in a rut, I want to think about what's good for my soul and find one or several of these things to lift me up. Maybe even add to this list.

I am thankful to know that I am not alone, and inspired to know that perhaps thinking about what is good for my soul, just might help you honour what is good for yours too.





No comments:

Post a Comment