Friday, August 1, 2014

The best laid plans...

So, I've been working on an article that I plan to publish as part of an ebook at some point in my life. This article talks about how to fit running into your busy lifestyle. I wrote most of it yesterday, rather smugly. Easy content right?

Then, last night, my youngest woke up no less than 6 times (hello front teeth) and my oldest peed the bed. I had planned to go for a 6am run...

Best laid plans: destroyed.

I got out of bed at 8 in a pretty foul state. My husband Lane knew better than to wake me earlier and held the fort until the very last minute when he needed to leave for work. The only storyline going through my head: How am I going to fit in that run? I just wrote about how to make it happen, and now I can't even figure it out myself!
 Pretty disappointing (did I mention the reason it was so disappointing was that I was looking forward to leftover pizza for supper? No pizza for sedentary girl).

Well I must say, hubby earned some brownie points on this one and pulled out a HUGE win. Early in the afternoon, I got a call to say a friend would take my oldest out for dinner and the evening with her kids. GREATFUL doesn't even begin to describe it. I took my little with me, and off for a run we went! Through the trees, runner's high in full effect. ON TRACK for half marathon training. YES!

That said, this won't be the last time this happens. Exercising, can easily be interrupted by so many things. In my heart, I know that missing a run will not ruin my training, but there is always that fear of falling off the wagon and not being able to catch up.

No training in perfect. I was recently eyeing up a new type of training where you earn points for each workout that you complete, and move up the ranks as you achieve the points. It sounds great, but truth be told, my busy life doesn't need failure in it... I need success! For me, a plan like this leaves too many opportunities to not achieve and therefore not keep moving forward.

I need to set myself up for success, and I also need to be able to forgive myself if I don't meet my goals. There will be days when I don't get the runs in. It's a fine line to be ok with that, and not let it become habit.

My motivation comes from one of the things that running provides me with:

Runner's High. It exists! Those endorphins that make me feel like a superfit, super mom worth a million bucks. The sunset looks prettier and the bear in my path (true story tonight) is no match for me.
Busy running mom needs this! What's your motivation? Find it and follow it!


** Important add-on! My husband stumbled across this article and I think these are excellent Ideas. I especially love #5 to deal with stinky running clothes. SMART! Click the link to check it out!

19 Insanely Clever Hacks And Tricks To Improve Your Run


No comments:

Post a Comment