Wednesday, August 27, 2014

This Thing Called Kindness. LINK:

It's been one of those ugly days. The ones where your kids are bored, you are REALLY tired, and there is not enough coffee or TV on the planet to fix this terrible situation that is headed straight down the toilet.

So I did what I do when I'm in a rut- I ate. The good news? It was kinda healthy (home made bread with cream cheese and smoked salmon). The bad news?  I ate half a loaf and half a fish.

Needless to say, I'm now mopey with a wheat belly.

In light of this, Husband says to me tonight:
"You write a blog post almost every night. I think you should take a break tonight". I say, "I do too".

So, I battle HARD to get my kids to bed early, and it takes an extra hour. Then I feel sorry for myself some more and cruise Facebook for another hour. I figure I might feel better if I am productive. So, I start to think on some other things. Like how do I get this blog OUT there? It's making me happy, it's keeping me thinking. This is a win. But, I'd like it to potentially be a win for others too.

Then I stumble upon something I'm sure I should have probably already known about, but didn't:

www.stumbleupon.com

It's this kind of fun website (reminds me of HOT or NOT from the good old days) where you read an article, then you give it the good ol' thumbs up or down, and you move on.


Enter first article: one I have read before about making dinosaurs freak your kids out by doing random things in your house while they're sleeping. Cute, but not new. I feel generous, give it the thumbs up, and get ready to move on, but article #2 catches my attention.

It's a compilation of feel-good stories that people have submitted. Normally this makes me cringe a little because I am hard to please that way. But these are nice, simple feel good moments that we can all relate to. You know, the ones where you feel like all humanity is not lost, and there is still hope in this world.
For example (excerpt taken from website below):

  1. Today, a man came in to apply at my restaurant.  He seemed charismatic, kind, knowledgeable, and friendly.  Later, when I went to call him to extend a job offer, I noticed he had written “ask for me” under his number.  The number belongs to a homeless shelter.  But I’m gonna take a risk and hire him anyways.  MMT
Enter one of those moments where it all comes together for me.
See, I've been thinking about this a lot:
If you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone else.

It's simple and it's truth. I keep thinking about how good I feel when I do something for someone else. Anything really, and mostly when there is no credit to be taken.  Then I get wrapped up in my own little reality again and off I go. I'm selfish and I know it. It's a hard habit to break!

Anyway, I'm thinking about this, and I'm thinking about this article (here it is): 


Pretty much, the little stories are about small things that make people feel SO good. Creaky sleep wheels begin to turn. My goal this week is to try and think of two that I can do. Start manageable.

Sometimes it just feels like, without being completely aware of it, a movement is starting within your life...husband randomly came home with this:

Editors note, before you think I am getting toooo personal on this blog- that little packet at the top of the pic is FLOWER FOOD! And my note says "Love you girl, a little care package". 

A true example of what goes around, comes around. I'm pretty excited to start thinking of what I can do, and how I can make it a habit.  Anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment