Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Chia Jam Adventure!

So on this quest for cleaner eating, there are a few things that seem hard to get out of our diets or replace. We all have these things! Having kids definitely highlights which ones are problem areas for us. 

It is easy to buy organic fruits and veggies, local meat, substitute a few things here and there, but there are some things that seem to lurk in my cupboard no matter what.

My successful substitutions so far include coconut oil, no more refined sugars, and making my own bread 100% of the time.

I wanted to make jam, but I also didn't want it to be loaded with sugar or pectin. So I tried Chia Jam!

My verdict: It will do. It's pretty yummy, though VERY seedy. I think for the amount of time and effort that I put in, it's worth it and I'd probably do it again!

 Here's a little step by step:

Recipe:

2 1/2 lbs blackberries or any fruit for jam (2lbs if you don't plan on straining the seeds)
1/3 cup sweetener such as honey, agave, maple syrup (adjust to taste)
5/8 cup chia seeds (adjust to appropriate thickness).

* As you can see the measurements and instructions are pretty vague. This is not a *picky* process!

Step 1: 2lbs Berries cooked on medium heat approx 7 mins.



Step 2: Add 1/3 cup of Honey/Agave/Maple Syrup 
Step 3:  I strained the seeds simply because it was blackberry, and to me, they were too seedy to combine with Chia. 

Step 4: Add 5/8 cup Chia seeds (you can easily add more as necessary to produce your desired thickness. I found I needed a little more for the blackberry, most likely because I strained the seeds so it was a little runnier. 

Step 5: Simmer for another 7 mins, cool, then you can jar.

This is how much it made. In hindsight, I would have used smaller jars and made twice as many, seeing as once thawed it only lasts for a month in the fridge. 

Verdict: 
He refused to look happy for the picture, but I promise he liked it!

Note: This is a fridge/freezer jam. 1 jar will keep for approx. one month in the fridge.

The whole process only took 20-30 mins and I managed to do it without spilling any berries on the babe strapped to my chest. Success I'd say! I figure it's the kind of recipe that if we need a change halfway through the winter, I can make a quick batch from the frozen raspberry stash. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment