Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Bargain Shopping, one day at a time.



Crazy Canadian Coupons!!

Something about being a stay at home mom this year has led me to become interested in getting great deals by couponing. It's all hinged on having the time and energy to do so, but I "get" why people become addicted to this sort of thing. It's all very exciting! Being a Canadian, I had seen all of those shows about people who stockpile thousands of useless items and wondered why we couldn't do the same in Canada. Seems I was wrong all along!

My coupon purchases aren't crazy or excessive, but in the last month, here are some of the free things or things I've just paid the tax on that I managed to get:

Sunscreen
Baby Wipes
Shampoo
Conditioner
Windex
Toothpaste
Dish Soap

Nothing crazy or unnecessary right? I do have kids, so being organized and getting free things is a bit challenging but it can be done! 

I also don't really do processed food very often so there are a bazillion more deals if that's something that is normal for your family.

I joined my local Facebook Couponing group and it actually saves me a ton of time and research. I just look at the deals others have gotten and follow suit if they apply to me! 

Stay tuned for how to make this work without hours of research and without feeling like you need to be a crazy coupon lady! 

This morning's haul consisted of  4 free tubes of toothpaste, a clearance priced razor for hubby and two boxes of cereal for dirt cheap. On the way out of the store, my oldest says, "Mom, why do you like shopping so much?" I didn't really know what to say, so I gave him the PC answer and said we just need things because we go through a lot of in our household. 
 After a little more thought, the truth is there is something inside me that burns just a little at the thought of paying full price for almost anything... always has. It's like a little game, and in some small way, I feel like I am winning!

Want some quick tips on how to be successful at this?
Here's what I suggest to start with:

  • Download a couple of phone or tablet apps: Checkout 51 and SnapSaves. Both pay Canadians. You just take pictures of your reciepts, click the items that you bought and you can "Cash out" and receive a cheque in the mail after you've saved $20 or more. 
  • Start saving those coupon inserts in the paper! Lots of good coupons here. I usually end up holding them until it coincides with a good sale.
  • Download an app for flyers on your phone, so you can price match so you don't have to run around from store to store to get your deals. 
  • Download one more app that will show you if items you are watching go on sale. 
  • Check the stores you frequent for sale/clearance items to combine with your coupons.
  • Try combining printed coupons with the online apps if you can (called stacking coupons). 
  • Find a Facebook or online group to join or watch that posts about great deals. You can save a lot of time and energy this way!
Easy steal of the day: March your body down to Superstore, grab 4- $1.50 off Crest White products coupons from the wall at the front of the store, proceed to the toothpaste aisle, pick up 4 tubes on sale for 1.50$ each and go pay your 0.42 cents tax. 
If you are super saavy, you'll grab 4 tubes of each different type of toothpaste and use more coupons, since there's a limit of four on each. Easy peasy.


Time to Get Started!!



No comments:

Post a Comment