Friday, September 12, 2014

Top Reasons That You Should Never Try to Fall Asleep When the Littles Are Awake

So, yesterday: 

It is just before 2pm on the way home from Preschool. This is about the time of day that I sometimes begin a slow and ugly decline: The second cup of coffee has worn off, and I'm well aware of the fact that I have been up since five. Little number two has already had both of his naps for the day. That leaves 5 long hours to fill before bedtime is upon us.

So, I start to daydream a little about how I might be able to swing a little nap. I can feel you judging me, but I don't care. I'm tired. I take the long way home. #1's eyes are getting droopy... I'm winning! I begin to plot #2's half hour in the jolly jumper (read: safe and contained) and I *might* be able to close my eyes on the couch for a while...

Nope. #2 is now screeching, and #1 is yelling "MAKE HIM STOOOOP!" End long-cut home, take shortcut. 

Ok, so now we're in the house, and I haven't given up this pipe dream bad idea of a nap. So, I ask my oldest if he's into watching a movie. WIN! He totally is. Little into the jolly jumper, mom on the floor with a blankie,  All is well. 

Except:

#1. The Little doesn't like the jolly jumper when you're not jumping with him. 

#2. You take him out, and JUST as you start to fall asleep, you wake up to your face being slimed. It looks something like this:



#3. If you continue to be too tired to move your body out of the baby path of destruction, you will lose a handful of hair. I might know from experience.


#4. The oldest will spill their glass of water (thank you for being water) into the back of the couch. 

#5. He will then cry hysterically that he spilled the water.

#6. The dog will help to clean up the water, but the baby likes white fluffy dogs. Enter second handful of lost hair for the afternoon. 
Yes, that is really my dog, and that is really her hair. Thankfully that pile wasn't pulled out by the baby!

Despite this chaos, everyone re-focuses on the movie.  Heavy eyelids all around. I shut the blinds. Dimness encourages sleep methinks (can you believe I haven't given up the dream yet??). But...

#7, It turns out that when you dim the lights, the rescue hero station actually senses the light change. It SHOUTS at us. 
"LET'S TURN ON THE ADVENTURE!"

I give up and turn on the adventure. That, and I made more coffee.





No comments:

Post a Comment