Monday, September 15, 2014

The Ten Terrible Ingredients I Can't Get Rid Of

Small steps are really important in BIG changes. That said, some small steps are harder than others.

Cooking my dinner tonight, I'm REALLY having trouble wrapping my head around meal planning! Not sure why.. I naturally love this sort of thing. Perhaps it's because I do not yet have all of my well loved recipes in one place: Some in cookbooks, Pinterest, and various go-to websites.

So, as I cook my fly by the seat of my pants (uh, shouldn't be doing that on a Monday) dinner.. I think... not too bad. We're having salmon caught by our neighbors, and healthy fried rice. MOSTLY healthy. Nice organic veggies, a few from the garden, eggs from our friends' chickens, good healthy oils.. and...wait for it... soy sauce. Yep... good old SOY.

Sigh. It's one of those things that we just CAN'T seem to get rid of in this house!

It of course made me think of think of a few things we just can't seem to kick out of the pantry. Mostly because there is no quick and easy answer to getting rid of them.

Drum Roll.............Also making that dirty list:

Chocolate chips. Thank you, Costco, for making them in 1kg bags. (Oh my. I just looked at the bag).  2.4kg!?!  bags. Because we all know that any good stay at home mom can make short work of a Costco bag of chips WITHOUT even actually baking with them. Common.. I know I'm not alone here. Notice how empty my bag is. It's not very old. 

My husband just raises his eyebrows.

Brown sugar. I have alternate sources of sweet which I bake with alllll the time. But when I make a fresh fruit crumble, I can't help but use heaps of brown sugar to make the top all rich and delicious!

White. Flour. Do you make cookies with whole wheat flour? I can do no flour, but... chocolate chip cookies, I do not want to disgrace your deliciousness with... health. Bad!

Ketchup. You're supposed to make your own. I don't.

Tomato sauce. I got my act together enough to make jam, dried fruit, applesauce, and bread. Next year tomatoes, you're it!

Tortillas. Ever notice that they don't go bad, ever?? The corn ones do... they keep ending up in the garbage. So here I am, with everlasting delicious fake food. We ate them last night.

Cringe. I'm not even going to talk about this. Actually yes I will. It's my bribe food for my son. When I don't want to do battle on the four food groups, I ask him if he wants "box noodles". He always says yes.

Unfortunately General Mills just bought out Annies. Sorry Annies... I think I just bought my last case. 
Read why here:

Um. Cereal. Yes I know. Interesting that I won't buy Annie's anymore, yet I currently buy cheerios. 
I HAVE A BABY WHO LIKES FOUR FOODS IN THIS WHOLE WIDE WORLD. one of them is the blasted yellow box.

Crackers. I buy healthy crackers, mostly because my son is allergic to MSG. But, somehow the last ingredient, no matter what I buy is always "Spices". Seriously. You make a nonGMO, Gluten free, all natural product, but you can't tell me what's in your last damn ingredient? I give up.


So there is my list. 

One of the things that really BUGS me is the attitude of some people that portray themselves as holier than thou in their health choices. Personal choice people!! Let's cut the judgy.

We are all on our own health journeys, working on what is important to us. Some of us with our food, some exercise, some our household products, attitudes, BALANCE! etc. By no means do I consider myself an expert, just learning and sharing as I go! True, it's hard to look at some things without thinking, ew,  after you know more about them, but I also know that on any given day I may cheat when I eat out, devour a stack of oreos or decide I need some other kind of junk. 

 I would love to hear your ideas about healthy substitutions for some of these things, or what's on YOUR list dirty list to get rid of- food, products, even bad habits (ha, there's another blog series in itself).  In the name of community, let's help each other out!




No comments:

Post a Comment