Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Home Made Chicken Bouillon

One of the perks of having young kids is finding time when you least expect it!

A couple of weeks back, I was super excited to hit a great 50% off sale at Superstore on a lot of their organic items. I picked up a number of boxes of Organic, Non GMO, No MSG chicken stock.

Well. I brought it home and my oldest broke out in his famous MSG rash. As per my routine I checked the box. Of course. Yeast Extract.

A quick little lesson here- MSG, for those of you with sensitivities, comes with about 20 different names. Yeast Extract is probably the most obvious and one that seems to be the worst for my family. Once again, I was angry because although I consider myself to be pretty diligent when it comes to package labels, I got blinded by the marketing and forgot to read the ingredients.

If seemingly the healthiest store bought bouillon had MSG, must be time to make my own!

It's amazingly simple.

Step 1- Save chicken/turkey bones as you get them (I just ziploc them all in the freezer). Better yet, cook a whole chicken and then just boil up the leftovers at the end.

Step 2- Add approx 4L of water, one onion chopped, 2 celery stalks chopped, 2 carrots chopped, fresh thyme, parsley, salt, pepper.


Step 3- Simmer on the stove.

* You can stop here, and use the stock for a soup if you wish... or:

Step 4: Reduce until it is thick and most of the water has evaporated- approx 1-2 hours.

Step 5: You can cool and skim off the fat if you like. Then, line a baking tray with wax paper and pour the liquid into the tray. Let set in the fridge. Mine was still a little loose (probably should've boiled off a bit more water), so I threw it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, cut into squares, threw into a ziploc, and now I have chicken bouillon all ready to use!

I read somewhere that it would store for 6 mos, but I know mine will be gone before that point!



No comments:

Post a Comment